Submission Guidelines for Children’s Books
Red Deer Press is looking for quality writing for children across the ages, from picture books to young adult fiction and non-fiction.
Submissions are to be made through regular mail. Please send only one manuscript at a time. Manuscripts should be legibly typed, double-spaced, with the author’s name and contact information clearly indicated on the cover page. Submissions should always include a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) with sufficient Canadian postage to return the manuscript or a reply.
- For picture books submit entire text, no query letter. No original art will be accepted.
- For fiction, submit query letter - or three sample chapters.
- For non-fiction, submit query letter, or sample chapter with outline.
- Multiple submissions are acceptable but will not receive priority.
Please allow four to six months for a response.
Note: If you submitted a manuscript between March 2020 and December 2020 please resubmit it.
- Send samples along with an illustrator bio and a website address, if available.
- CDs are acceptable but not preferred.
- Please do not email or fax samples.
- Please do not send original art, hand-bound books or other bulky submissions or anything that needs to be returned.
All children’s submissions should be sent to:
Peter Carver, Editor
Red Deer Press
195 Allstate Parkway